Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Remembering & Reflecting

My Grandpa would have been 98 years old today. He died in May of 2001- just days before I found out that I was carrying a baby girl (my Lauren). I wish I could have told him...

This post will be for me and my brothers, I just wanted to reminisce for a little while today...

Grandpa- Irwin Hames
  • "safety first"
  • "be a Strub, not a stup"
  • wanted to provide and care for us
  • had a bike shop in his backyard
  • loved Darby's later called New Yorker
  • was tall and lean (how tall was he?)
  • had grey hair neatly combed
  • had grey hair Einstein style after working in the yard
  • He wore suspenders later in his life
  • Had a parakeet named "money bags"
  • drove a green vw bug
  • would honk (beep, beep, beep, beep, beep) as he rounded the corner to our childhood home
  • loved thrift stores
  • took us on dates to McDonalds- "eat'm in twos" - with an apple pie for dessert
  • took us to the library
  • we loved to go to grandpa's house
  • always had ice cream in the freezer
  • "chew your food"
  • lectures
  • sat in his chair at his kitchen table to relax
  • used to rain money (change) for us to collect
  • always saved his change for us- dis pursed in a family ritual- we kids used it at Christmas to buy gifts- we thought we were rich
  • collected (everything)
  • State Avenue
  • trips to Dairy queen riding double on banana seats
  • the granny 3 wheeler that didn't last
  • Inspection time
  • Kitchen table gatherings
  • Darby's/ New Yorker Dates
  • "I don't want her germs"
  • Friday nights watching Dallas at Grandpa's
  • "Let's stop by Grandpa's"
  • VW repair shop
  • Grandpa Pumba
  • "miracle's never cease- green light on Grand Ave."
  • "drink more water, and shwiggle it around your mouth"

There are so many more- I smile just thinking of these. He was the closest Grandparent I had- I think losing your people is that saddest part of growing older.

I'm comforted knowing in Heaven there is no pain- and I will see him again...

No comments: