Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering 9/11/2001

I can remember the day vividly. Nick had arrived in Hawaii for a Club trip the night before. I was home alone, in my last month of pregnancy with Lauren. I woke to the phone ringing. My youngest brother lived in New York at the time. The call was to tell me my brother was OK- and phone lines were delayed in NY, but he was OK- and I should turn on my TV right away.

I turned on the News- and tried to get ready for work and the day ahead. Work- it was hard- we were all glued to the TV. I called Nick as soon as the time difference put Hawaii at wake up time. We both were in awe.

My family wasn’t directly affected, but we all live with repercussions…

The other family that I was drawn to in the aftermath was The Beamer Family. I was moved by the actions of Todd Beamer and the others from Flt 93. I was mesmerized by the book Lisa Beamer wrote in honor of her late husband- Todd Beamer- “Let’s Roll”.

I was captured by their love story, their family, and the paths they had taken to get them to where they were. It reminded me of Nick & I in so many ways. The way they met, they had both worked for Oracle, how Todd viewed and worked his job. His love for his family, their love, she was pregnant- I just felt so many similarities.

“Let’s Roll” is still one of my favorite books- and I wonder what has happened to the Lisa Beamer and her family…

Today as I remember 9/11. I am thankful for all of the armed service men and women who serve our country. FREEdom does not come FREE…. Let us not forget the day, the lives lost, the hero’s, and the service men and women who are serving and protecting us today-

No comments: