Tuesday, September 2, 2008

MEAL TICKET

We love to eat out, it has it's own section in our budget- one cell for "dinner out" one cell for "lunch out", one cell for "pay for others", and when those funds run out there is always the "entertainment" cell to take from. It's bad! Weekends are the worst.

Well, it's a new month, a start to a new week and I am going to try to eat in more and make dinner at home. I need some ideas.... what is your families favorite easy meal at home? What do you usually make for lunch?

Come on- will you share it with me?? If we all share, we will each have new ideas to try at home.

I'll go first:
  • My family is easy- they love my cheesy eggs. We do breakfast for dinner on a crazy night when I start dinner late. Cheesy eggs, bacon, fruit, toast. Easy!
  • Chinese Chicken salad- bake some chicken, toss in salad, add some mandarin oranges, Chinese noodles, sliced almonds and add dressing- Good Seasons Asian Sesame with ginger. yum.
  • Lunch- I make tuna salad or chicken salad and add some dried cranberries for a little zing.

Yes, I am lame in this department- cooking and meal prep is not my strength nor my interest. I need an attitude adjustment and some help from you with new ideas. EASY Ideas- anyone? Anyone? Anybody out there? Help!?

:)

3 comments:

"Intentionally Katie" said...

You know you can count on me to comment. :) Click on the "recipes" tag at the bottom of one of my recipes posts to see some of my must-have ideas.

We're boring for lunch...same...things...daily...turkey sandwiches, PB&J or quesadillas always with fruit, sometimes chips and salsa. That's it. I have a salad almost every day, sometimes I'll mix it up and have a tuna sandwich or make everyone grilled cheese, but that's rare.

While you're getting inspired, don't overwhelm yourself all up front. Pick 2 nights a week that will be your "new recipe" nights. Every Monday and Thursday you'll plan for, buy for and prepare a new recipe...or whatever nights work best for you. Soon you'll find new favorites and the "new" recipes won't be new anymore.

Often on Sundays I'll make a double batch of whatever we're having for dinner and freeze 1/2, then we'll eat it a few weeks later. If I have an easy recipe during the week, I'll do the same thing, so my freezer is always stocked with stuff I can pull out. Even if it's cut-up leftover grilled chicken or already-cooked ground beef. Quick to defrost and it's one less thing to prepare.

Those are my tips...you know I have plenty more up my sleeve. I hope that got you motivated!!!

EmilyAnne said...

I have a couple of standbys if the timing gets hectic and you have the right stuff on hand.

(If your family will eat seafood) I put salmon under the broiler after squeezing lemon over it, sprinkling seasoned salt, and a little lemon pepper. It takes around 5 minutes. You can steam green beans to go with. We also really like rosemary potatoes. Cut up little red potatoes into quarters and put them in a ziploc bag with some olive oil, fresh chopped rosemary (or dried in a pinch), and sea salt. Shake, pour into a pan and put in the oven at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Yummy.

Also, if you have cooked chicken on hand or pick one up from the grocery store already cooked, you can shred it and throw it into a stockpot with chopped veggies - whatever you have on hand - and season to taste. Bring to boil and simmer until veggies are tender. i like to add carrots, celery, tomatoes, yellow squash, and zucchini. Make as much as will fit in your pot and you can serve it for dinners, lunches, and freeze more for another time.

A kid and husband favorite at my house is Taco Pie. Sounds way more time consuming and difficult than it actually is, and looks pretty impressive, too. Basically, make a dough out of 1/4 c. cornmeal, 3/4 c. flour, 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/3 c. milk, 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil. Roll it out into a rough round shape (definitely not perfect) and put it into a pie plate sprayed with cooking spray and sprinkled with cornmeal so it doesn't stick. Brown 1 lb. ground beef, drain, and add 1 c. salsa. Mix and put in crust. Sprinkle with cheese and bake 12-15 min. at 450 degrees. Serve with taco toppings on the top of the pie or on the side. Margarita anyone?

EmilyAnne said...

Okay, I realized, reading back through my first post, that I left out the chicken broth or stock in the soup (paragraph 3). Kinda important! Don't forget that. Also, have you tried the Uncle Ben's wild rice in microwavable pouches? 90 seconds in the micro and it's really good!