Monday, November 17, 2008

In the KNOW

I always say knowledge is power. When I am aware of it- I can change it, grow it, study for it, pray about it, seek Godly advise, wisdom from others...


I am blessed with friendships God has arranged that provide support, wisdom, encouragement and fun! I am always looking for new stuff to help me wife and mother the best I can. I want to know why I/we do things, how I/ we can do them better and keep growing and maturing into what God has called me to be.


I've always been interested in birth order, personalities, temperments, love languages. I feel I am tuned into my girls personalities, strengths/ weaknesses and am aware of the typical traits of birth order, but recently heard someone speak and took a couple new insights...


1st born:
strengths: highly motivated, leader, well organized
weakness: tends to be perfectionist, analytical, and can be critical in nature (critical spirit).
love language: words of affirmation, acts of service


Personal revelation: I didn't know that critical nature was a typical weakness for 1st born. I thought I was the only mother in the world.... we have always worked on this area. Lauren is sweet, tender hearted and a great kid- and I know her little brain organizes and analyses things to figure out how to make them better (much like her Daddy), but it comes across as critical- and is taxing-


one of the H's in our family motto addresses that: H~ have a good attitude
A joyful heart is good like medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22
Do all things w/0 grumbling, complaining and questioning. Philippians 2:14


Middle:
strength: mediator, avoid conflict, most independant , loyal, caring, free spirit, people oriented
weakness: can often get lost in the family and feel left out
love language: physical touch, QT: quality time alone with loved one


Personal revelation: I know the concerns of a middle child being lost- especially when they are easy and just fit into the mix. I have come to realize that Brooke prefers physical touch and needs more "dates". She is a sweet sister, a peacemaker- and I need to provide more opportunities to be the "designated leader."


Baby:
strength: outgoing, charming, carefree, uncomplicated,
weakness: manipulative, space cadet, messy, may feel left out/ forgotten
love language: acts of service, gifts


Personal revelation: I am blessed that Kate is an easy, fun kid- but need to follow through better on disipline- she is getting away with stuff- because it's really "not that bad"- but if not addressed- could be real bad. I also need to teach her about consequences for poor choices.


********
5 Love Languages:
Words of Affirmation
QT: quality time
Gifts
Acts of Service
Physical touch


Author Gary Chapman has some great books on the 5 Love Languages.
Dr. Kevin Leman - one of my favorites authors- Birth Order and some other great studies-

1 comment:

Video Promotions said...

I like Dr. Kevin Leman too. I met him when helping him produce his video series "Value Packed Parenting."

Since then, I've supported his efforts to make parenting easier by devoting a blog to his video series.
Watch a short clip from Making Children Mind without Losing Yours
at KevinLemanVideos.blogspot.com

I think his latest book release "How to Have a New Kid by Friday" is good too.